This site uses affiliate links as a means of monetization.
Following two years worth of development, Elgg – a social networking CMS – has rolled out a release candidate for version 1.9.0.
Elgg is a free and open source social network software. With it, you can build a variety of online social environments, from a campus wide social network for your university, school or college to an internal collaborative platform for your organization.
Although this release if only a release candidate meant for developers and bug hunters, this is still great news for all Elgg users, as the final release of Elgg 1.9.0 cannot now be far away.
- New responsive theme – aalborg_theme
- Adds image uploading from editor
- Replaces fancybox lightbox with colorbox
- Replaces Tinymce editor with CKEditor
- Liking and friending use ajax
- Removes topbar Elgg logo and made “powered by” themable
- Allows keeping group content limited to the group
- Site notifications moved into separate plugin from messages
- Various accessibility fixes
- Improved theme sandbox
- Ajaxified the discussion reply edit form.
- Alphabetize friends/friends-of, group notifications, group owned/member lists
- Adds new notification system
- Changes user directories use GUIDs rather than join date
- Adds robots.txt configuration
- Adds maintenance mode
For the full list of enhancements, check out the changelog.
If you intend on taking this release candidate for a test drive, be sure to report all bugs to Elgg's github issue tracker.
Elgg have also advised developers on how to approach this release candidate:
“Developers who have been waiting to test out their 1.8 plugins in 1.9 should take this as a cue to begin upgrading those plugins. Note that back compatibility was a big consideration in this release so upgrading plugins should hopefully not be as painful as it was for the 1.7 -> 1.8 upgrade.”
Find out more about Elgg via our CMS Directory.