If you are, like me, always eager to test the latest and greatest that the CMS world has to offer, you'll be excited to know that there's a new beta available for the upcoming 3.6 release of WordPress. Just released today, this new beta includes a host of new features, outlined below. I'd suggest that if you are a theme or plugin developer, you start testing right away in order to ensure your code is going to function properly with the changes in this release.
Here’s what’s new in 3.6:
- Post Formats: Post Formats now have their own UI, and theme authors have access to templating functions to access the structured data.
- Twenty Thirteen: We’re shipping this year’s default theme in our first release of the year. Twenty Thirteen is an opinionated, color-rich, blog-centric theme that makes full use of the new Post Formats support.
- Audio/Video: You can embed audio and video files into your posts without relying on a plugin or a third party media hosting service.
- Autosave: Posts are now autosaved locally. If your browser crashes, your computer dies, or the server goes offline as you’re saving, you won’t lose the your post.
- Post Locking: See when someone is currently editing a post, and kick them out of it if they fall asleep at the keyboard.
- Nav Menus: Nav menus have been simplified with an accordion-based UI, and a separate tab for bulk-assigning menus to locations.
- Revisions: The all-new revisions UI features avatars, a slider that “scrubs” through history, and two-slider range comparisons.
Don't have time to download but you're dying to know what the changes look like?
Here's what the new post formats interface looks like in WordPress 3.6:
Here is the new default theme, entitled "Twenty Thirteen" for those who haven't seen it:
Eager to test it out? Here you go: http://wordpress.org/news/2013/04/wordpress-3-6-beta-1/
Get free exclusive content and contests in our weekly email!
Mike Johnston Author
I am the guy behind CMS Critic. When not traveling, I am based out of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada where I live with my beautiful wife and kids. I provide business consulting, brand management services, web development & design, and consulting (CMS, CXM). I can also be found speaking at conferences and am successfully enjoying life as a Canadian entrepreneur.