This site uses affiliate links as a means of monetization.
The latest version of BuddyPress, the popular WordPress social network and community building plugin, has been released.
WordPress names its updates after Jazz musicians, but BuddyPress has the honour of having its updates named after eateries located in the New York vicinity. “Spumoni” then, is actually short for L&B Spumoni Gardens, a pizzeria located in the Brooklyn.
BuddyPress 2.2 brings about a number of enhancements to the previous version, BuddyPress 2.1 “Patsy”. From what can be seen from the feature highlights though, it seems BuddyPress 2.2 is geared more towards the developers behind BuddyPress-powered communities, rather than the average user.
Here are those highlights.
- Member types will allow developers to register different types of users.
- Post type activities will allow developers to connect custom post types to activity stream items.
- Improvements to the Legacy template pack.
- Several new query API’s (based on WordPress improvements) for retrieving exactly the results you’re looking for.
- Continued cache enhancements, particularly for multi-site and multi-network WordPress configurations.
- Improved Group invitations UI.
- Tons of under-the-hood improvements.
- Increased coverage of inline code documentation, actions, & filters.
To read through the full list of BuddyPress 2.2 features, check out the release notes.
The inital announcement was made on the BuddyPress blog.
And as always, be sure to explore more of BuddyPress via our CMS Directory.